Primary Function of Position: To rehearse the choir for their active participation and leadership role in the weekly Sunday worship service and other services as required.
Duties of Position:
- The choir director shall select all choral anthems to be sung by the choir. Music should be appropriate for use in the liturgical service and, if possible, follow the theme or the lessons appointed for the day. Music selections shall be made in consultation with the Pastor whenever possible and given to the accompanist well in advance of their rehearsal and performance by the choir.
- Choir anthems shall be sung under the direction of the choir director at worship services weekly, unless other choirs, soloists or other arrangements have been made. The choir director shall also, upon request, arrange for choir member(s) participation in other portions of the liturgy.
- Choirs shall rehearse weekly and at additional times as identified by special needs, with rehearsals conducted by the choir director.
- The director and organist will work together to schedule instrumental ensembles when desired or needed. (eg. Christmas brass)
- The director will work to recruit musicians of all ages to give vocal or instrumental solos as desired.
- Performance and celebration with special choir selections or programs of music are encouraged from time to time for the promotion of choral worship and the general spiritual health of the congregation. Special programs are normally presented seasonally. Arrangements for special soloists, accompanists, or instrumentalists will be made by the choir director.
- The choir director shall purchase music and music supplies for the choir program. All expenditures shall be under the budgetary supervision of the Worship & Music Committee.
- The choir director will maintain the music library for the choir.
- The choir director will lead the music portion of Vacation Bible School for a one-week session.
- The choir director shall perform the duties of the position in a cordial and cooperative manner with the Pastor, the Congregation Members, and the choir.
- The choir director shall attend Worship Committee meetings to facilitate communication and planning.
- The director will periodically work with the pastor and other musicians in worship planning.
Terms of employment:
- The choir director will carry out the above expectations to the best of his/her ability.
- Time of Service: The choir Director is hired by the Congregation Council and performs his/her duties from September through June.
- Substitute directors for rehearsal or performance and their compensation will be the responsibility of the choir director.
- This is a part-time, salaried position.
- Good Shepherd will pay the director $10,000 annually minus required withholding payable over 10 months.
- The Staff Support committee will review the duties and salary after 90 days. Annual reviews to also take place.
- The Staff Support committee will meet periodically with the director to provide support and give feedback.
To apply: Please submit a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com.